How the heck did you land here? :)

Monday, March 13, 2006

Chandigarh: The experience so far!

Just completed a month here in Chandigarh and the experience has been quite mixed. Finding a good room wasn't tough but the conditions laid out by most house owners were hard to comply with. No smoking, no drinking, no girls, and some conditions like, no entering the house after a certain time. Coming from Mizoram and having Asian looks, I was at times mistaken for a 'Nepali' and well, Sikhs don't have a very high opinion for "Nepalese" people.
Finally managed to find a good house but then as luck had it, the landlady saw me smoking in the balcony. And to add to that, we had a beer party at my new place with my friends here.
So, there was this nice talk that the landlady had with me the following day.
"Beta, you can always go to the park and smoke. And we don't have any problems with you partying with your friends here, just that, don't have drinks in the house, there are so many pubs and bars in Chandigarh!" Sweet lady she is.
Anyways, I'll be moving out from this place on the 15th of this month. My colleague is leaving his place and I'll be taking over the house from him by end-of-day, tomorrow. Its in sector 16 and is quite decent.
"You'll have your own entrance and the landlord doesn't bother you much. But don't tell them that you smoke. Mind you, no Sikh family will give their house for rent if you tell them that!" was the warning from my friend.
He added, "For that, there's sector-15".
Well, sector-15 is where most of the students studying in Punjab University live. I wanted to take a flat here, what with most of my fellow Mizos putting up in that area.
Captain Saab - a localite and a senior in college - has already expressed his desire to share a flat with me. I guess I won't be putting up in sector-16 for long. Let's see how things work out.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very nice site! » »