How the heck did you land here? :)

Thursday, April 20, 2006

Some mails really make or break your day!

My writing/authoring debut happened about three and half years back and this is one incident that happened when one of the books that I had authored was supposed to be shipped to the client.
Believe me, if its a delivery date, Goof-ups are bound to happen!
So here's a portion of the mail I received around four in the afternoon. A mail that really made me wish I wasn't in office!

Jimmy,

You have shown carelessness and immense irresponsibilily in going through the comments and fixes that I have suggested. You have left about 10 comments unfixed. What do you want me to do with these? We have already had two rounds of reviews and this is how you plan to ship the document? I refuse to go through this document.

Regards,
ABC

Of course, this lady had CC'd this mail to my Boss. It still beats me as to why she added "regards".
Before I could explain my reason for not fixing the comments, Boss had already shot a mail!

Guys,

What is happening? We cannot afford such mistakes at this stage. You are all aware that we have to ship the documents today. Please take ownership of your individual documents/books-they have to be ZERO-DEFECT and in PERFECT condition. Jimmy, get in touch with ABC and fix/clarify the comments at the earliest. No one is going home till your documents are ready.

Regards,
Boss

So I go over to ABC's workstation and tell her my reason for not fixing the comments. My explanation? what she had suggested was technically incorrect!
It's a different thing that Boss and me were in the office till One in the Morning!!

I guess I have made some progress over the years and three years and some months later, this is a mail I get from a our client in the US - a lady who has been very supportive.
These are the kind of mails that really make your day!!

Please! I'm not showing off!

Hi Jimmy,

...Are you interested in Editor work? My plan is to have support people for each role. Since you learned the styles so quickly and are such an excellent Writer, I think making you an Assistant Editor makes sense. (I hope the “assistant” does not insult you.).
As a .Net Writer, do you find the Java 4.8 training useful? Is it starting to make sense? I know the whole team appreciates your good work, and no one more than me.

Regards...


If you are in an industry where the activity of conveying information is through mails, mails, and more mails, I guess you'll understand what I mean.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

:-) Great work !! i thren thraw hmel tur kha.... hehehehe

Almostunreal said...

A round of applause to you :)...its smaw with me..correspends through emails..emails and emails :)

NoHiddenDepths said...

^_^ :)