How the heck did you land here? :)

Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Kasol, Manikaran and villages like Kalga...

Oh well, this happened some 2 weeks back.
"So are we going?", I sms Gaurav at 2 AM
"Yes we are" he replied.
Our plan was to leave at 4 in the morning, so we could pick up Samar on the way, who would be waiting for us in Jalandhar.

I've always liked trips that have an uncertainty surrounding them. So Gaurav gets up at 7 in the morning and calls up.
"Yes, Jimmy have you guys got up?"
"What time is it?"
"Brother! its 7 now, I'm reaching there in another 10 minutes. You guys get ready. Ok?"

Nothing is really far in Chandigarh and well, Gaurav did reach my place within 10 mins.
Nishant and I do our packing (well, kind of :P)

It was a 10 hr drive to Kasol about which I won't talk at length.

Kasol was our first stop-A 10 hour drive from this place. A typical north-indian hill station-hills, rivers, pahadi folks, some fancy hotels promising you an experience of a home away from home. Hey I thought came here to get away?

What struck me most about Kasol was the presense of Israeli hotels and restaurants. Israeli breakfast, Israeli dinner, hotels name Israeli Hotel, and restaurants named Rasta Restarant. Another surprising thing was that most of the billboards were also written in Hebrew.

So we booked a hotel-Deep Forest was the name, cleaned up ourselves (kind of :P) and sat for dinner and drinks on the hotel lounge. I faintly remember that there was this World Cup match being played on the big screen (Tunisia was playing some team :P) and a song called G**nd Mara de was playing on the background-it was in the tune of a Bhajan song.

I surveyed the area and ended up sitting with an Israeli couple who asked me where I came from.
"Mizoram yada yada..."
"Oh Mizoram, isn't that the place where there was this talk about the Manashe tribe?"
"Oh well, that's speculation, not every Mizo believes it though"
"Its funny, you know. We come here to get away from the violence of our country and there are guys in your tribe who wanna go there?"

Next stop- Manikaran and Kalga... :o)

6 comments:

Mizohican said...

Israeli ho hnam dang zing ah khan kan mizo hnam hming hi lo ti chhe hram lo la oooo...

An hmuh kha chuan thingkung hnuai ah te khan lo e tawh lo la, chuan nin, an hotel watchdog te kha talh i lo tum leh pek ringawt a nge... hnam dang zing a chuan a zahthlak deuh e thrianpa.

NoHiddenDepths said...

Saala, I'm sure there's a way to block a particular blogger from posting comments in your blog.
Mai Mai a!

wide open spaces said...

I like the little conversation you had...throws a new light on the whole 'Mizo-Israel' debate...Dr. PC Biaksiama will be delighted to hear about it...lolx

NoHiddenDepths said...

@ButterFly: I forgot to mention that we had a small talk about the World Cup and about the teams that they/I supported.
"You support Germany??"

I should have known that I was speaking to a Jewish couple coming all the way from Isreal and here they are, talking to a supporter of the German football team!

And that too coming from a Mizo-a people they think is one of the lost tribes of Israel.

My! I sure feel stupid sometimes. Why can't I ever be diplomatic?
:D :P

virgochhas said...

hahaha....

diplomacy in public...public diplomacy...wateva..

sure won't be the best thing to say to a jewish couple dat ur a German supporter...

anywayz..am quite interested on dat conversation regarding certain Mizo's who wanna migrate to Israel...

i agree with eve, am sure Dr. P.C. Biaksiama will be delighted to hear about it...

Unknown said...

It was really nice to stumble upon your blog and getting to know so much about Kasol and Manikaran. Kasol hill station is a great place to plan a relaxing vacation. Click here to know about Kasol hotels.